Meet The Team
Teacher: Mrs Collins
Teacher: Miss Tierney
Teaching Assistant: Miss Carter
Teaching Assistant:Mrs Gallagher
Welcome to Year 5.
- Due to storage the only bag that children are allowed are the smaller bags that are edged bright green (along with packed lunch bags).
- Any child with a medical need is now required to have a care plan – please visit the office to pick up a form if your child’s plan needs updating.
- Your child will have P.E every Thursday – please ensure that a full P.E kit is in school on Monday morning which will then remain in school for the half term. Please make sure that names are written in to each item of kit. All jewellery must be removed during P.E sessions.
Expectations in Year 5:
All homework, consisting of reading, spellings and Maths will be sent home every Monday and must be returned the following Friday. Your children will attend homework club if this hasn’t been returned to school.
- Children are required to read for a minimum of 10 minutes every night – please support them in doing this. Reading records must be signed by parents, and you must write the pages read so that we are able to change books when necessary, otherwise your child will have to remain in at break times to read. The children must also answer a small set of questions based on the book they have read-once they have finished their book.
- Please ensure that your child completes all other homework sent home as they are vital to your children’s learning and progress.
- Children can bring in water bottles. They will be kept in class and sent home on a Friday to be washed.
Your child should understand what they have to do before they go home. It will be their responsibility to check before they go home. Don’t give them any help unless absolutely necessary. If you have had to help your child, please write on the homework.
Please be careful with the Maths; let your child show you the methods we use.
Please allow your child to be more responsible by allowing them to give reasons why the occasional homework is not done.
Make sure your child has plenty of practice learning times tables and other important Maths facts. Learning these facts are really important. If a child knows these facts they are much more confident and relaxed with their work than those who haven’t; these children know they will not be able to do the work before they even begin.
Please hear your child read each night for at least 10 minutes.
To keep up with the group they are in, they will need to read around 10 pages per night. If they want to read more please give them something different to read. At this age it is very important for your child to start reading a wide range of suitable material that grabs their interest.
Ask them questions to make sure of their understanding.
Please sign the reading records each night and your comments will be very helpful.
In line with school policy, children will remain inside if these expectations are not met.
Tiredness/ Healthy Diet
Please make sure your child gets at least 10 1/2 hours unbroken sleep each night. Plenty of restful sleep and a healthy diet has been proved to give your child a much better chance of being successful and happy in school.
Make sure they are not being kept awake by taking mobile phones, TV, computer games etc. out of their rooms on school nights.
We are going to have a fantastic year! If there are any questions, please ask.