Maths at St Malachy’s
Maths at St Malachy’s
At St. Malachy’s, we believe that maths is best learnt by the children having a deep, conceptual understanding of a range of mathematical ideas. We challenge the children to make rich mathematical connections and links, and to use their knowledge to help solve problems. We believe it is important for children to not only be able to find the answers to problems but to also be able to explain the reasoning behind their lines of enquiry using accurate mathematical vocabulary. By celebrating learning and through engaging challenges, we inspire the children to increase their fluency in maths and to become increasingly sophisticated problem solvers, both in maths and across the curriculum.
What do we want the pupils to achieve?
- To have an understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics
- To have a broad range of skills in using an applying mathematics
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including new or unusual
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges
- To embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques
- To be able to use a wide range of mathematical vocabulary
- A commitment to and passion for the subject
How will we help pupils to achieve this?
At St Malachy’s, the National Curriculum is at the core of our teaching. We use the White Rose Maths long term overviews to structure our lessons, and a range of resources to help support pupils learning. Our teachers draw on a range of strategies to embed and secure key mathematical knowledge within maths lessons. We want our lessons to be fun, engaging, purposeful and challenging. Our school have invested in a range of online programs to support maths lessons, and we also use Timestables Rockstars and Numbots within school to promote and enhance the subject of Maths. Our long term overviews and calculation policies are available to access below.