Home Learning 20th April
Home Learning 20th April
Dear Y4 Pupils and Parents,
As we enter another week of lockdown, I hope that you are all keeping happy and healthy! We are missing the children very much, and are hoping that we will all be reunited soon! Below are some suggested learning activties. The focus for this weeks learning is Poetry, as its National Poetry week! Enjoy the tasks and the time spent at home!
- This weeks Spellings are listed below: various tremendous, enormous, jealous humorous, glamorous, vigorous courageous, outrageous
- Use the template attached to practice your handwriting.
- Read the poem attached, written by Christina Rossetti, and answer the following questions:
-What creature do you think that the narrator is?
-What is a Swallow?
-What is different this year?
-What does the narrator wish that they could do?
- Now, re-write the poem using the imagery in the poem. Create a comic strip, freeze frame or re-imagine it as an acrostic poem.
- You can find an animated version of the poem here: https://www.youtube.com
As we are working on poetry this week, read William Blake’s ‘The Tyger’ and complete the comprehension questions attached. This is a free resource. Link: https://www.twinkl.co.uk
-This week the Maths topic is decimals. Please use the attached sheet below to complete your learning: https://whiterosemaths.com
-You can also use the following video tutorial to support you: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-4/
– Now, use your new learning to complete one of the work sheets found here: https://www.math-aids.com/Decimals/
Continue to practice your key Math facts, and use timetables rockstars.
Learn about the properties of solids, liquids and gassess through this comic book: https://www.stem.org.uk
Now, design your own book explaining properties of materials. Imagine you are explaining to an alien from outer space.
Choose one of the work-outs below:
FULL BODY WORK OUT
Work on your understanding of money. You have a budget of £200 for a back to school party. Research online the prices of balloons, candy carts, entertainment and a bouncy castle. How would you budget? What would the theme of your party be?
Our new topic is: Rainforests.
Read the poem about rainforest’s below: https://www.uen.org
Now, conduct some online research and create a fact file about the rainforest.
How many rainforests are there?
Where is the biggest rainforest located?
What creatures might you find in the rainforest?
Explain the eco-system of a rainforest.
- Parents – Father Jim is also streaming masses, This is usually at 9.30.
- At school, we occasionally use Ten Ten’s Collective Worship programme within our learning. This is being made freely available to all during this period of school and church closures.
- Writing your own prayers at home. Why not give thanks to God for all of the keyworkers who are keeping our country moving at the moment. You may have something else you would like to pray for – God welcomes all prayers with an open heart.
- In order to properly celebrate Jesus’ Resurrection, the Church sets aside 50 days of joyful celebration. These 50 days from Easter to Pentecost are celebrated as one feast day, sometimes called “the great Sunday.” Why not create a calendar that contains at least one way you can celebrate Jesus’ Resurrection as we prepare for the Ascension and then Pentecost.
I am sure you have a lot of opportunity to use the computer and technology, so now, step away from the Computer and think about what goes on behind the scenes. Design your own game or character. Think about the computer networks – how are we able to access the internet at home? Identify anything that uses technology in your home.
Most of all, stay safe and happy. We miss you and will see you soon.
Your Y4 Teachers